Thursday, April 14, 2011

Physician Wellness Resources


Patricia Lindholm, MD,
2010-2011 MMA President
I am always trolling for good physician wellness resources.  I have several to share with you this time.

You may have seen an excellent article in the New York Times on physicians taking control over their work hours and lifestyle. 

What is particularly compelling about this article is that it discusses the decision process of a third-generation physician in choosing her specialty.  It also discusses the reactions of her father and grandfather who had traditional endless-hour practices.  Many of us in practice can relate to all three generations and their points of view.

Another important and exciting resource recently came to my attention.  There is a conference in May in Albuquerque by the Osler Institute that looks wonderful.  I personally will not have time to attend but want to pass along the information to you.  This is the type of conference I have dreamed about creating for Minnesota physicians, but am glad that someone is doing it!  

Speaking of conferences I will be attending the Rachel Remen workshop on “The Healing Power of Story: Opening to a Deeper Human Connection.”  Many of you have attended Dr. Remen’s programs and I have heard nothing but rave reviews.  I am excited to go to this meeting in California in early June.  The longer I practice the more I realize that practicing medicine is largely about listening to and honoring our patients’ stories.  I also have come to appreciate that all human relationships are based in stories and these are the links that often connect us to each other.  I will be happy to share with you any “pearls” that I find at the workshop.

I have another book review for you in my next blog entry.  Be well!

2 comments:

  1. I also have come to appreciate that all human relationships are based in stories and these are the links that often connect us to each other. I will be happy to share with you any “pearls” that I find at the workshop. UFC 158: St-Pierre vs. Diaz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for this link and I found this site that show the fight of UFC 159 -- Jones vs. Sonnen. Come to see it if you are a fan.

    ReplyDelete